Wednesday, November 14, 2012

MNO

Before I was a momma I was a petrophysicist in an oil company - one of the giants. My first day in the office I knew I was in over my head.

It's like they spoke a completely different language. Entire sentences would be comprised of three letter acronyms. I mean, WTF?

New acronyms kept cropping up, before I'd even had a chance to learn the old ones. They were everywhere; on walls, on documents, in emails, on power points.

Very soon I was making my own acronyms up. I lost the capacity to converse with the hubs or anyone else outside the corporation, without a barrage of: MLP,RST,HGNS,GTED,PEX,RLP, etc.

(BTW If any of my ex-colleagues are reading this I made most of that lot up - the acronyms, I mean.)

I spoke that language fluently for over three years, but at this precise moment in time I can't, for the life of me, recall the meaning to a single one of those acronyms. This may also have something to do with the Dos Equis I just poured down my neck! 

I quit being a petrophysicist four years ago and moved stateside to pursue a career in motherhood. I wasn't preggers when I left, I just figured we'd be happier here, hence more likely to be doing the nasty.

It worked. Boy, did it work.

The point is, now I'm in a new line of work, SAHM (are you getting the irony?) And it's taken me three babies, and three months to get to where I can comfortably take a night off - guilt free.

No matter how many new and exciting career paths may be in my future, I know one thing's for certain, I will NEVER forget the meaning of the most important acronym in my current job,


Mom's Night Out

3 comments:

  1. They make up those acronyms to make the newbies feel stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes..my kids know what that means...and how it is the most important night on the calendar!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom's Night Out rocks! The acronyms still send me over to Google. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete