Thursday, November 1, 2012

Cry me a river.

If you've checked in for a bit of a giggle you might should give this one a miss.

I don't know what's gotten in to me tonight. Perhaps it's all the sugary crap that's crept into my diet of late. Or maybe it's sleep deprivation that's starting to take its toll (although it's no worse now than it's been for the last 4 years!)

I just feel like crap. 

I know I look like crap -.my mirror has been particularly cruel tonight - and I'm fairly certain I smell like crap too.


I think this worthless feeling started to wash over me a few days ago. It all started when the hubs told me I had a pooch. 

Not cool, right?

And anyway, like I don't already know. It's my 'trophy' for birthing three bairns in three years! At least, that's what I've been telling my still pregnant profile. But today I just feel like a greedy bitch that needs to lay off the cake and ice cream. My complexion and mood would agree.   

Blogging is incredibly difficult when I'm feeling like this. 

Ironically this is when I need my blog the most.

The words aren't flowing out like they do when I'm happy me. Instead I'm second guessing each word and restructuring every sentence. I must have reread and edited what's written above twenty times already - and it still reads like crap.

What do I care? I doubt I'll publish this one. 

It's taken me forever to get this far, and the kids are still awake....

That's the crux of it, right there. I feel like a crappy Mom. 

There, I've typed it. Once I've published it I can't take it back.

A blogger friend of mine writes a hilarious blog about why she's a 'Bad Mom'. She's not really a bad mom - although not everybody knows this.

Funnily enough, it doesn't matter what you think you've written, it can be taken in a million different ways by your readership. Blogs are subjective. And people read between the lines. 

I thought this didn't matter. The important people - the ones that really care - know the truth, right? 

Wrong.

How quickly the lines get blurry. If you tell yourself something often enough you'll start to believe it - so why wouldn't your friends and family believe it too? 

There are workshops that teach this (positive) affirmation shit! Stand in front of the mirror and tell yourself you ARE beautiful at least ten times a day (totally gonna give that a shot tomorrow!)

I'm always so quick to poke fun at myself - especially when I blog. I conned myself into thinking that only a very self assured and confident person could laugh at themselves...

I guess it's true for the most part.

But tonight I'm in that sad lonely place where nobody loves me. I am stupid and worthless, fat and ugly. I'm a crappy Momma and a terrible writer. 

See. I warned you not to read this one.

19 comments:

  1. First I want to say, what a beautiful Mama you are! I've got my Mama pooch going on 2yrs now. Sure, I could work on it. Then I get mad and disappointed with myself for chowing down on foods that taste good momentarily but make me feel horrible 10 minutes later. But at the beginning, middle or end of the day, it just doesn't seem to matter when I think about how my body carried my beautiful darling T for those 9 crazy months. What a miracle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann for those lovely words. You are right! All three of my babies are miracles - and I know I would have traded all four limbs for them. What's a little pooch among friends, right?:)

      Delete
  2. I admire that the design and interior decoration of your home center around fun for the kids and it is still a glorious home and a favorite gathering place. = fabulous Mommy
    I also admire that you focus on your tots more than your own vanity. Many moms out there plop their kids in front of the tv with a treat, for an hour plus everyday, in order to shower, blow dry, makeup, select perfect outfit and accessories... Not your priority = fabulous Mommy
    I admire many other things, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just attempted to read your comment out loud to 'D' and my voice cracked! Thanks for that. Sometimes we just need to hear it:)

      Delete
  3. I wrote a whole long comment from my phone and wouldn't you know it, I lost it. Just as well, it was all unsolicited-advice-giving. So this version says, I hear you, I know what you're feeling. Hope you feel like yourself soon and BTW I like your non-funny posts too. Keep on blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe - thanks Shelly. Your comment means a lot, particularly the last bit. It's exhausting trying to be funny:p

      Delete
  4. Aw Jo, you make me cry. I want to give you a huge hug and tell you that you are the most beautiful person I know - inside and out. You are an awesome momma (see, you've made me go all American) and the funniest, most honest writer. You are the only person that can make me laugh to the point of peeing my pants and you have so much good advice and fun stories to share with the world. I am so lucky to have you as my friend - I only wish I could tell you all this in person. Now, put on your Josie smile, stick your boobs out and get out there girl and be your gorgeous self. Everyone who meets you, adores you...guaranteed. I know we all have good days and bad days...how about Skype this weekend? Love ya! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone should be lucky enough to have a Julie in their life - even 5,000 miles away! Miss ya hun xx

      Delete
  5. Josie dear. Moments like these are so hard on a momma. The important thing to remember is that is just what they are. Moments. It will pass. Everything you are feeling is valid. It's normal to feel down. I'm glad you're blogging about it. I'm glad to read you're normal! I'm especially glad to read that you have a pooch. You have three little ones! I have a pooch and my son is 8. I'm sending you hugs and grouchy faces for grown boys who say dumb things every once in a while.
    Keep blogging, momma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele! You ALWAYS make me smile. My poor guy had to deal with more than just a grouchy face after his 'pooch' comment:)

      Delete
  6. Well, let me just join the pooch gang! Three years and it gets bigger instead of lesser!! And I only have 2 kids, 12 years apart! So I have no excuses. My heart is filled with sympathy for you sweet Josie, I think all moms have felt like this...not all of us are brave enough to admit it! You glow with such light and it is impossible to miss how much you love your sweet babies and what a great mom you are. As one of my friends once told me..."Good mom's don't worry if they are crappy mom's are not!!" Praying for you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anon:) Thank you for your kind comment. I'm not sure how brave I am though... I've been terrified since I clicked publish! 'Happy Jo' is my M.O - it's not often I share my sad feelings with ANYONE (but the hubs) - let alone the internet:O

      Delete
  7. y'all coming over for breakfast tomorrow? i'll make some extra skinny pancakes.

    even skinny dada has a pooch . . . and he's not trying to nurse a wee one and keep 2 tikes eating square meals. your focus is 100% on your family at the moment, and when there's time, you'll get the shape you want, but know that even if you don't ever . . . i'ts not your shape we love, it's you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you B-B. Did you mean tomorrow tomorrow or Sunday tomorrow? We're on for Sunday for sure:) Can't wait to hear about your trip!

      Delete
    2. yes, sunday . . . i'm still on vacation and have no idea what day it is ;-)

      Delete
  8. We all have crappy moments, Josie! Don't be hard on yourself! Most of us have pouches or some sort of birthing marks and saggy here and saggy there crap! Soooo! Look at those miracles that body created! And tell hubby that if he loved that body before, he should worship it now!!! Not to mention to go check his in the mirror!!! Come on Josie, cheer up, what's ailing you is fixable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! Everything looks much better today:) Maddeningly, there's not an ounce of fat on the hubs - I keep heaping up his ice-cream bowl hoping he'll meet me somewhere in the middle... not a chance! He really didn't mean to be a meanie-pie with his 'pooch' comment - he just caught me at an insecure moment. Ironically, I've teased HIM about his over-sensitivity in the past - I'm pretty sure I'm guilty of saying much worse!:O

      Delete
    2. he's from that same damn skinny gene pool as skinny dada PLUS his skinny mom's side of the fam.

      Delete
  9. I appreciate this post and have a lot of respect for bloggers who can be honest and vulnerable and blog about the not so easy stuff as well. So much of blogging is painting pictures of roses so I appreciate your honesty- these are the blogs I read the most. Keep your head up, it'll get better and we all have down days! Just found your blog and have loved getting to know you better. I'm excited to follow along!

    new follower :)
    Bonnie
    www.bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete